Ace Shelander is a mechanical engineer and co-founder of Beaker & Wrench. He is a licensed Professional Engineer in the state of California. He and his co-founder Lilibel de la Puente own and operate Beaker & Wrench located in downtown Los Angeles CA. He has been building machines almost his entire life and participates yearly in Battlebots.
Ace has brought wiped-film evaporation and machine design to a new level of excellence in cannabis. His dosing pump made formerly unuseable machines useable and Beaker & Wrench is now releasing their own wiped-film evaporator.
- Professional Engineering CA License no. 38850
- BS, Mechanical Engineering
- 4 Patent listings
- Expert design, and prototyping engineer. Has demonstrable ability to design and fabricate working mechanisms of all sorts that meet or exceed performance objectives, quickly, reliably and within budget.
- 10 years of varied work experience and has demonstrated leadership and superb understanding engineering skill
- Very strong in Solidworks, especially in the conception and design of original components that are lighter, stronger and easier to fabricate.
- CAD Expert (SolidWorks, SolidWorks simulation, OnShape, Autodesk)
- Programming: Arduino
- Welding including TIG, MIG, Arc, Oxy-Acetylene
- Vertical Mill: CNC, Manual, CNC Plasma Cutter
- Manual lathe
- Composites layup: fiberglass, aramid
- Experienced with variety of electric motors; primarily permanent magnet motors- brushless and brushed.
- Mechatronic systems, stability and controls, multiple classes in vehicle stability and dynamics.
- Knowledge and experience with critical, weight sensitive part design.
- Injection molding DFM
Beaker & Wrench
October 2016 – present
Title: CEO, Professional Engineer
Design custom hardware equipment for natural products processing
- Design custom motors
- Custom extraction equipment
- High-throughput filtration apparatuses
- Distillation consulting: Hardware and technique
- OSHA safety compliance
- Process optimization consulting
- Peer review process for hardware (PE licensed)
- Develop early stage concept to commercial design
- Design interfaces
- Design Control Systems
- Contact external vendors in the fabrication of components and assemblies
- System and component testing (e.g. tensile, stress), performing complex calculations
- Write verification test plans, protocols and report, implement testing and root cause failures
- Work with fabricators to develop assembly instructions and establish manufacturing line
- Perform user research to inform design decisions
- Ability to apply user feedback to design solutions
- Ability to design experiments, analyze data sets and draw conclusions
- Extensive hands-on experience and approach; ability to rapidly create, troubleshoot, and iterate on prototypes
- Skilled with machine shop equipment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of fabrication processes used in volume manufacturing (e.g. injection molding, casting)
Radicand , Inc.
May 2015 – December 2016
Title: Senior Mechanical Engineer:
- Designed, developed, and tested all aspects of mechanical components, equipment, and machinery.
- Applied knowledge of engineering principles to design products such as engines, instruments, controls, robots, machines, medical devices etc.
- Involved in fabrication, operation, application, installation and/or repair of mechanical products
- Project lead, expected to exercise independent judgement and wide degree of latitude in design implementation.
- Reported directly to company CEO
- Involved in fabrication, operation, application, installation, and/or repair of mechanical products.
July 2011 – Jan 2014
Title: Mechanical Engineer
- Designed, operated and fabricated numerous test fixtures for reliability testing of Halo Tire Inflation System
- Played high-impact role in the design and optimization of internal sub-systems including air intake filter, and drive system
- 4 Patent listings
● Designed, built and drove the Gemini robots on ABC’s Battlebots
UC Davis Formula Hybrid Team
Captain / driver / founding member
- 3 rd place in international competition (30 universities: US, Canada, Italy, Russia, Taiwan)
○ Driver for Auto X and Endurance events
- Leadership role directing the conversion of an existing chassis to a hybrid vehicle.
- Designed, analyzed and constructed the electric drive system which includes:
○ Electric motor
○ Motor/Engine Interface
○ Freewheel clutch
○ Chain drive
○ Motor mount/ Chain Tension System
○ Five-gear transmission
- Design for steering geometry and rear suspension for 2011 car.
UC Davis Formula SAE
(open wheel race car, 610cc gas engine)
2010 Davis, CA
- Design, analysis, and construction of Front and Rear Uprights
- Designed in Solid Works to be lightest in team history
- FEA Analysis in COSMOSworks
- Fabricated by CNC mill running FeatureCAM g-code
- Hydraulic disk brake system: analysis, design, and construction
- Assisted with suspension design and chassis construction.2008-2010
Carnegie Mellon West at NASA Ames
2006, 2007, 2008 (summers)
Intern Mountain View, CA
- Carnegie Melon Outstanding Achievement Award in Robotics 2006
- Modeling and design of accessories for an autonomous robot, MAX 5 Rover.
- UAV (unmanned aerial vehicle) and micro-UAV CAD modeling, design, construction, and
modification. Served as flight line mechanic.
- Remote control racing class sailboat: CAD modeling, construction, & modification
University of California Davis
B.S. in Mechanical Engineering
- Formula SAE Team
- Aero-Brick (competes in SAE Aero-Design)
- Formula Hybrid Team
- Men’s Water Polo Club
1. USP 9,039,392, Tire Inflation System
2. USP 9,039,386 Tire Inflation System
3. USP 201,503,676,93A1 Tire Inflation System
4. USP 9,151,288 Tire Inflation System